Founded as a spin-out of the global early-stage VC Antler, Clear offers a health program based on a personal glucose meter, an app, a proprietary glucose algorithm and an AI food recommender. The power of the program lies in 100% personalization as everyone's reaction to food is personal. Through a sensor and an app, Clear analyzes blood glucose levels to detect individual reactions to food. It then provides users with personalized advice in real-time. Users can analyze their individual biological responses to specific foods and receive tailor-made advice on how to improve their blood sugar control and health and how to prevent lifestyle-related diseases.
1076 CV Amsterdam
1076 CV Amsterdam
Last round 🔗 €1M
March 10, 2022.
March 10, 2022.
Select investors Healthy.Capital, Future Food Fund, Rabobank Innovatiefonds, Mustard Seed Maze, Antler
Key people 🧑🤝🧑
- Solving a real need: Around 2 billion people in the world are overweight, with 500 million people having diabetes type 2 (of which 50% are undiagnosed). The consequences of unhealthy lifestyles have staggering consequences in people's lives and public budgets. We have been taking a one-size-fits-all approach to nutrition, but if with Netflix and Spotify we can personalize what we watch or listen to, why should we not have the same personalization approach to things that really matter: what we eat. That's where Clear's offering kicks in. 🔗
- Proven to work: A 2021 study (Citizenlab GripOpDiabetes) in the Netherlands, together with TOPFit Citizenlab and Vitaal Twente, revealed that the Clear program has a positive effect on reducing symptoms of type 2 diabetes. By following the Clear program, average daily blood glucose values went down, body mass index (BMI) decreased, and even medication was reduced. 🔗
- Expansion plans: The company is discussing with health insurers to get the Clear program reimbursed. Once that happens, it will likely get many more subscribers which would further enable it to expand across Europe.
- Media love: Clear has been featured in a few publications, including EditieNL, Clique Media, De Telegraaf, RTL Z, and Algemeen Dagblad (AD).
Awards & Recognitions 🏆
- 2021 Blue Tulip Awards: Among the Top 5 Finalists 🔗
Clear has exceptional potential. At Healthy.Capital it is our mission to make an impact in healthcare. Clear's team built a great digital healthcare service that enables customers to act on their personal biometric insights. Personalization of nutritional advice will change the way customers perceive their lifestyle.
— Douwe Jippes, Managing Partner at Healthy.Capital 🔗
Personalized nutrition has tremendous potential in making a systemic impact into how people understand their body, make better food choices and improve their health. Clear embodies this vision which is fully aligned with our investment thesis at Mustard Seed Maze.
— António Miguel, Managing Partner at pan-European impact fund Mustard Seed Maze 🔗
We look forward working with Clear to help people improve their health through food. We are confident that the Clear team can make a significant contribution to building a more sustainable and healthier food system.
— Jaap Strengers, Future Food Fund 🔗
Rabobank's mission is to stimulate the transformation of healthcare in the Netherlands. For this we are looking for innovative entrepreneurs who contribute to higher quality, higher accessibility, and appropriate affordability within the sector. The solution developed by Clear fits in seamlessly with this. We are therefore delighted to support this startup through our Rabo Innovation Loan - a financing solution for early-stage innovations.
— Jeroen Brouwer, Start & Scale-up banker at the Rabobank 🔗
Digital healthcare solutions such as Clear can make a significant contribution to promoting (better) health, more control and independence for the user/patient. Because they can monitor their blood glucose levels in a relatively simple way, participants gain (more) insight into which foods contribute to better health for them and which do not. This can prevent rising values and thus a visit to the dietician or hospital. Innovation in healthcare is necessary to be able to continue to provide the most appropriate healthcare in the right place, even with looming capacity shortages.
— Arianne van Lavieren, Healthcare innovation consultant, Zilveren Kruis 🔗
Last update: August 17, 2022
Disclaimer: We can not guarantee that the information on this page is 100% correct. more