Koa Health provides evidence-based, personalized, integrated solutions and services that deliver mental health for everyone. It partners with employers, health plans, health systems, and providers worldwide, with its headquarters in the Netherlands and operations in Boston, London and Barcelona. One of its products, Koa Foundations, is a mental well-being app that helps organizations better support employees with a library of evidence-based activities focused on tackling stress, sleeping better, aiding relaxation and positive thinking, and boosting self-confidence. The other product, Koa Mindset, is meant to help individuals better understand and live well with depression by offering cognitive behavioral therapy-based techniques to complement in-person treatment.
Select partners: Massachusetts General Hospital, The Max Planck UCL Centre for Computational Psychiatry and Aging Research in London, Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust, London School of Economics and Political Science, Virgin Pulse, Doctor Care Anywhere, Janssen.
Select clients: EF Education First, jack.org, O2.
1043 AP Amsterdam
1043 AP Amsterdam
Last round 🔗 €30M
February 9, 2021.
February 9, 2021.
Select investors Wellington Partners, Ancora Finance Group, Asabys Partners, MTIP AG, Alma Mundi Ventures, AA Sons, Telefónica
Key people 🧑🤝🧑
- Growing market: The global mental health apps market revenue is expected to reach $9.9 Billion in 2028, according to Vantage Market Research. Koa Health is well placed to get its slice of this huge pie.
- Evidence-based treatment: Koa Foundations offers users a breadth of evidence-based interventions and activities from Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and positive psychology to meditation and mindfulness to improve user well-being, including tackling stress, sleeping better, aiding relaxation and positive thinking and boosting self-confidence.
- It works: The research from the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology, & Neuroscience (IoPPN) at King's College London has found that the mental health and wellbeing of frontline NHS healthcare workers can be supported and improved through the use of the Koa Foundations mental health and wellbeing smartphone application. 🔗
- AI predicts mental health crises: Koa Health developed a machine learning model that uses anonymised electronic health records to continuously monitor patients for risk of a mental health crisis. The model has been found to correctly predict more than half of the crises 28 days in advance, without a considerable false positive rate. A following six-month study evaluated Koa Health's algorithm's use in clinical practice. In as many as 64% of cases, the model proved clinically valuable, either in terms of managing caseloads or mitigating the risk of crisis. 🔗
- Products in development: Including Koa Perspectives, which is being developed to provide guided cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) via app to patients across a range of disorders; and Koa Foresight, which leverages AI to protect at-risk patients by predicting potential mental health emergencies before they occur and helping provider teams address them early.
Awards & Recognitions 🏆
- 2022 Well-Being Trailblazer 🔗
Koa Health offers simple, trusted, and personalized solutions that are integrated from prevention to symptom management. The digital-first approach means they are scalable and affordable, with no compromise on quality. We were pleasantly surprised by the innovative force of the company's technology and the deep knowledge of its team to scale rapidly on a global level.
— David Germonpré, Partner at MTIP 🔗
The demand for mental health services is dramatically increasing on a global level. We consider Koa Health to be best placed to lead the global expansion of digital mental health solutions. As a spin-out of Telefónica's moonshot project their readiness impressed us deeply, and we are pleased to support them in their mission to provide better access to treatment for mental health issues.
— Dr. Christoph Kausch, Managing Partner at MTIP 🔗
Board and shareholders of Koa Health are highly pleased to have attracted new investors MTIP, Akilia Partners, Creas Impacto, Sabadell Asabys, and Mundi Ventures to join this significantly oversubscribed round. The company now has the financial strength it needs to continue on its growth path and disrupt the field of promoting mental wellbeing and supporting symptom management for mental illnesses, which due to the large unmet medical need and very high prevalence is regarded as one of the large market opportunities in healthcare.
— Dr. Rainer Strohmenger, Managing Partner at Wellington Partners 🔗
Last update: January 13, 2023
Disclaimer: We can not guarantee that the information on this page is 100% correct. more